The holidays are a popular time for break-ins ( remember the movie “Home Alone” ), so we wanted to give some advice to those of you who may be traveling over the next few weeks.
This is especially aimed at those who continue to post their plans on Facebook and other social media. While posting things like “Florida here we come”, “or “just boarded the cruise ship” may seem harmless, your posts aren’t as private as you think and may be inviting trouble. Oh, and posting photos WHILE ON VACATION is just as bad.
In the spirit of security, here are just a few things you can do to protect your most valuable asset and belongings:
1. DO NOT advertise your vacation plans on Facebook or other social media.
2. Make sure driveway and walkway are plowed.
3. Stop newspaper delivery. – Nothing screams empty home louder than newspapers sitting in the driveway.
4. Put lights on a timer.
5. Have someone put trash out on garbage day. - Smart thieves may scout neighborhoods to see who doesn’t have their trash out as that may be a sign of an empty home.
6. Install security lights.
7. Lock all doors and windows and use your alarm if you have one. - Pretty obvious, but you’d be surprised how many people forget the basics.
8. Inform neighbors. – Let them know you will be away so they can be on guard for any suspicious behavior.
9. Register your home with your local police department. – Many police departments have “house watch” programs, where they will visit your home and check things out while you’re away.
10. Have a friend take in mail/packages.
Enjoy your vacation and rest easy knowing you have been proactive to make your home safe and secure while you’re away.
NOTE: If you enjoyed this post or have something to contribute, please leave a comment below as we would love to hear from you.
About The Authors
The above information pertaining to Cleveland Ohio and Cleveland Real Estate News was provided by The Schuman Team, Amy and Dan, of Howard Hanna. They can be reached at 216-346-3235 or via email, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We service the following Cleveland area suburbs: Bainbridge, Bay Village, Beachwood, Bentleyville, Chagrin Falls, Cleveland Heights, Gates Mills, Highland Heights, Hunting Valley, Lakewood, Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, Mayfield Village, Moreland Hills, Oakwood Village, Orange, Pepper Pike, Shaker Heights, Solon, South Euclid, University Heights, Westlake, Woodmere.
Keeping Your Home Safe While On Vacation is the property of The Schuman Team and may not be duplicated or used without their written consent. ©December,2010