As evidenced by this week’s snowfall, winter is in full force. So, with the help of our good friends at Metro Toyota, we are going to share some winter driving tips to help keep you and your family safer this winter.
1. Have your car serviced to make sure it is prepared for winter driving. This will include checking tire pressure, coolant, and oil.
2. Carry specific items such as a snow scraper, flashlight, blankets, jumper cables, and flares. It may even be a good idea to have a shovel and some kitty litter in case you get stuck. It is important to be prepared just in case of an emergency.
3. If going on a long trip, call ahead to check on road conditions. Most states have websites that will show current conditions, and even allow you to follow them on Twitter to get updates.
4. Make sure all occupants are wearing a seat belt.
5. Take frequent breaks, especially if it is snowing.
6. Keep distractions to a minimum. Yes, we realize that kids today have a wide variety of electronics at their disposal while in the car. For the drivers sake, please keep the noise level down. You can even tell your kids I said so.
7. Carry a cell phone and a charger to make sure it doesn’t run out of power while on the road.
SOME ADDITIONAL TIPS YOU PROBABLY DIDN’T KNOW:
When many of us first learned how to drive, we were taught to pump our brakes if our car started to slide. Well, while we can’t speak for every make and model of car, many newer vehicles are so technologically advanced, that they automatically do this for you. Now, it may be better to press the brake and hold it down until your car automatically takes you out of the slide. For further information, we recommend reading your car’s manual or speaking directly to your dealer.
Tire pressure is critical to a car’s safety and efficiency. So, it may be recommended to replace the air in your tires with nitrogen as this is said to improve performance and safety. The cost for this is very minimal and the results may be dramatic.
For more information, feel free to call our good friends at Metro Toyota at 13775 Brookpark Rd. , Cleveland OH , 44142, Phone – ( 216 ) -267-7000.
Please follow these tips and drive safely this winter.
About The Authors
The above information pertaining to Cleveland Real Estate News was provided by The Schuman Team, Amy and Dan, of Howard Hanna. They are Solon residents and can be reached at 216-346-3235 or via email, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We service the following Cleveland area suburbs: Bainbridge, Bay Village, Beachwood, Bentleyville, Chagrin Falls, Cleveland Heights, Gates Mills, Highland Heights, Hunting Valley, Lakewood, Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, Mayfield Village, Moreland Hills, Oakwood Village, Orange, Pepper Pike, Shaker Heights, Solon, South Euclid, University Heights, Westlake, Woodmere.
Winter Driving Tips is the property of The Schuman Team and may not be duplicated or used without their written consent. ©January,2011