During the course of our career, we have received a lot of feedback from our clients about their past experiences with a real estate agent. It seems like everyone has a different story but the conclusion is the same: not all agent are alike.
In today’s post, we wanted to bring to your attention that every agent works a little differently, even ones that work for the same company. If you are looking for an agent, the following list can be used as a helpful guide.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN AN AGENT?
Regardless of if you are a first time buyer or have gone through many real estate transactions, here is a list of qualities that consumers find important in an agent.*
1. Knowledgeable – An agent should be able to share with you a wealth of information not only about the buying or selling process but also of the specific areas in which you plan to buy or sell. Remember, knowledge is power and your agent needs to be a huge asset here.
2. Honesty – So how can you tell if an agent is honest? You can begin by talking to people who have used a particular agent. You can also usually get a gut feeling if an agent you are speaking with is genuine. Asking good questions will reveal a lot about how an agent conducts their business and if they will be looking out for your best interests.
3. Communicative – This is a big one if you want to have a smooth and pleasant experience. A good agent should have specific systems in place to make sure they are efficiently communicating with you during the entire process. Ask an agent about their communication plan for their clients. If they don’t have one then you may have to question the level of customer service you plan to receive.
4. A Good Negotiator – If you ask 10 real estate agents if they are good negotiators, I guarantee all will say “yes”. So, you may just want to ask an agent about their negotiation skills and what it means to you as their prospective client. What they say here will tell you a lot about their style and if they will be a good fit for you.
5. Good People Skills – This one kind of helps bring all of the above mentioned characteristics together. Not everyone is blessed with good people skills but an agent who has them is worth their weight in gold.
Keep in mind that this certainly isn’t an exhaustive list. You may personally want your agent to possess certain qualities that we didn’t cover here, and that’s ok. At the end of the day, you as the consumer need to define what qualities are important to you, and don’t be afraid to be very particular.
Remember, shopping for an agent is similar to looking for a home. There are a lot of them out there so you need to take your time to find the right one.
* Per National Association Of Realtors® Home Buyer/Seller Profile
The above information is compliments of The Schuman Team, Amy and Dan, of Howard Hanna Real Estate Services.
They can be reached at 216-346-3235 or 216-403-9189 or via email, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Schumans service the following Cleveland area suburbs: Bainbridge, Bay Village, Beachwood, Bentleyville, Chagrin Falls, Cleveland Heights, Gates Mills, Highland Heights, Hunting Valley, Lakewood, Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, Mayfield Village, Moreland Hills, Oakwood Village, Orange, Pepper Pike, Shaker Heights, Solon, South Euclid, University Heights, Westlake, Woodmere.
Not All Real Estate Agents Are The Same is the property of The Schuman Team and may not be duplicated or used without their written consent.©July 2012