Having a home warranty is important not only for buyers, but for sellers as well. If you are buying or selling a home, you may regret not investing a relatively small amount of money to have one. In this post, we will explain what home warranties do and why you should get one.
THE PURPOSE OF A HOME WARRANTY
A home warranty covers you in the event appliances or major systems break down. In most cases, a warranty will cover things that your typical home owners insurance policy does not. Having both a comprehensive home owner’s insurance policy and a home warranty will provide you will excellent coverage.
Most homes experience issues pertaining to mechanical systems and appliances on a regular basis. It could be once a year or every few years, you just never know when something will happen. That is why having the protection of a home warranty is a smart thing to do for both buyers and sellers.
1. CONVENIENCE – When covered by a warranty, you will have access to qualified contractors simply by calling an 800 #. This is especially nice if you are new to the area.
2. LONG-TERM PROTECTION – While a seller will typically pay for the first year of a buyer’s home warranty, the buyer has the option of renewing every year. As your home ages, the likelihood of a problem increases. So for the long term, having a warranty can be a huge help.
3. PEACE OF MIND – There is a tremendous feeling of knowing you will be covered if certain problems arise.
1. COVERAGE WHILE ON THE MARKET – You will get covered during the listing period and NOT have to pay for the policy until closing.
2. STAND OUT FROM COMPETITION – Offering a home warranty may entice a buyer to purchase your home over another that is not offering one.
3. ELIMINATES PROBLEMS AFTER CLOSING – If a problem arises after title transfer, it is better for the buyer to contact the warranty company instead of you.
DO I REALLY NEED ONE?
We are not here to tell you what to do. But based on the chart above, claims are certainly a common occurrence. In fact, we get emailed every time one of our clients has a claim paid by the warranty company, and it seems like it happens all the time. From an agent’s perspective, I do feel it provides tremendous value to both buyers and sellers.
When it comes to buying or selling a home that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, spending $400-500 on a home warranty seems pretty minimal. If you think of a warranty as more of an investment than an expense, it will hopefully make more sense.
The above information is compliments of The Schuman Team, Amy and Dan, of Howard Hanna Real Estate Services.
They can be reached at 216-346-3235 or 216-403-9189 or via email, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
The Schumans service the following Cleveland area suburbs: Aurora, Bainbridge, Bay Village, Beachwood, Bentleyville, Chagrin Falls, Cleveland Heights, Gates Mills, Highland Heights, Hunting Valley, Lakewood, Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, Mayfield Village, Moreland Hills, Oakwood Village, Orange, Pepper Pike, Shaker Heights, Solon, South Euclid, University Heights, Westlake, Woodmere.
Home Warranties – Why They Are Important is the property of The Schuman Team and may not be duplicated or used without their written consent.©February, 2013